Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Honor & Revere The Word of God

Nehemiah 8 was in my reading today, and verses 3-5 really got my attention:


Nehemiah 8:3-5 "He faced the square just inside the Water Gate from early morning until noon and read aloud to everyone who could understand. All the people listened closely to the Book of the Law.  Ezra the scribe stood on a high wooden platform that had been made for the occasion. To his right stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah, and Maaseiah. To his left stood Pedaiah, Mishael, Malkijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah, and Meshullam.  Ezra stood on the platform in full view of all the people. When they saw him open the book, they all rose to their feet."  NLT

All Israel stood on their feet for 4 hours listening to the Word of God being read to them.  Wow.

When Ezra opened the Bible to begin reading to them, everyone stood to honor the Lord.  Wow.

Do you honor the word of God?  Do you even read it?

I've heard some of the "old-timers" say that when they were growing up, one of the church leaders would begin the worship service with a reading from the word of God.  As he did, everyone stood to honor God.  I wish we still did that, but notice how far Israel went to show their honor and commitment to Him:  they stood there listening for 4 whole hours.  ...

Lord, help me to cherish and honor Your teachings throughout my life.  In Jesus Name, Amen.


Steve is author of a book featuring an in-depth study of heaven called, "My search for the Real Heaven." It's available @ Amazon.com and on His www.PrayerThoughts.com web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My search for the Real Heaven

My search for the Real Heaven
Experience my search through the Bible for the truth about heaven.

Search This Blog

Followers