Thursday, June 10, 2010

Job's Friends Believed in the Health & Wealth Gospel--a False One



Job and his friends discussed his problems at length.  The friends were convinced Job had hidden sin, provable by the calamity now upon his life.  Job continually declared his innocence.  They continually declared his guilt.  Job ended up being right, and they were wrong.

In the middle of this interesting bantering back and forth, as I read through it last week, I noticed that Elihu (and his friends) obviously believed in the "Health & Wealth" gospel:  If you love & obey God, nothing bad will happen to you:


"If they listen and obey God, they will be blessed with prosperity throughout their lives.  All their years will be pleasant."  Job 36:11 NLT

What's wrong with this thinking?  Lots.

First of all, it proved to be false in Job's life (obviously).

Secondly, it proved invalid in Jesus's life: He was God's only Son, never sinned, yet lots and lots of bad things happened to Him.

Finally, it was proved wrong and faulty reasoning in the life of every apostle and most of the history of the church recorded in the New Testament.

You never read of a church in the New Testament, "This group was righteous, so everything went smooth in their lives."

But you do read in the life of Daniel, Moses, Joseph, David, and others of their true heart, servant attitude, and total commitment--followed by years of living in captivity, wandering in the desert, being in prison and slavery, or running from God's appoint king--who was trying to kill unjustly.

Rest assured.  Bad things do happen to good people.  Regularly.

Lord, give me strength, patience, and wisdom to face the difficulties I must.  Help me to honor you as I endure, patiently waiting on Your intervention.  May I always offer you the sacrifice of praise--even before you deliver me.  In Jesus Name, Amen.


Steve is author of a book featuring an in-depth study of heaven called, "My search for the Real Heaven." It's available @ Amazon.com and on His www.PrayerThoughts.com web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My search for the Real Heaven

My search for the Real Heaven
Experience my search through the Bible for the truth about heaven.

Search This Blog

Followers